Affordable Dental Implants in Silver Spring or Hyattsville, Maryland
Everyone wants to have perfect teeth and a healthy smile, but what if you have a missing tooth which is affecting your confidence and self-esteem? With the latest advances in modern dentistry, there are a lot of different solutions for your missing teeth, one of which is dental implants. Our dental implant specialist Dr. Allen Gotora and his team of dental care experts at Silver Spring or Hyattsville, Maryland will determine if you are a good candidate for implant surgery to restore your beautiful smile.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants refer to cylinder-shaped posts made of titanium or titanium alloy that are used as artificial tooth roots, which serve as an anchor for an artificial tooth or any other dental prosthetics. These titanium posts are surgically placed on the jawbone to support the artificial tooth. Overtime, the bone cells then attach themselves to the implants through a process known as osseointegration, permanently locking the implants into the jawbone.
Dental implants have three parts:
- Implant – the posts that are surgically placed and permanently screwed onto the jawbone.
- Abutment – A connector that holds and supports the artificial tooth or teeth. They are permanently placed and can only be removed by the dentist.
- Crown – The prosthetic tooth or the part of the tooth which is easily visible.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
Aside from restoring your smile, dental implants also have other benefits. Some of them include:
- They look and feel like your natural teeth
- Implants function just like normal teeth
- They restore your ability to chew
- They help retain your natural face shape
- The procedure would not require adjacent or surrounding teeth to be filed down
- Implants help maintain the structure of the jawbone
- Implant roots don’t develop cavities and are usually stain-resistant
- Implants are permanent so you won’t have to deal with embarrassing situations normally experienced by denture wearers
- Implants can last for a long time given proper care and attention
- Implants help protect healthy bone in the jaw
- Implants, as compared to other restoration methods, have more predictable results and have a higher success rate (95-98%)
With a high success rate among patients, it’s no wonder that more and more people are getting dental implants to replace their missing teeth.
Who are Eligible for Dental Implants?
Generally, implants are suitable for people who are 18 years and above who have one or more missing teeth.
Children and pre-teens are not usually eligible for dental implants because it is essential that patients have fully developed bone tissues first to be a good candidate for it. This doesn’t really happen until around the age of 25.
It is also important that you have an adequate bone support in your jaw and that your mouth is in a good condition.
Patients who have untreated tooth decay and/or active periodontitis may have to postpone the implant surgery until after these oral health issues are addressed. This is because infection may spread to the surrounding area of the newly placed implants, causing the treatment to fail.
Having healthy oral tissues is therefore important for the proper healing and overall success of the dental implants.
Patients who have certain medical conditions like uncontrolled diabetes, oral cancer or leukemia or those who receive radiation therapy on their jaw and neck are not eligible for implant surgery. This is due to the fact that these medical conditions may affect the proper healing of the implants and may pose a high risk for infection.
The same goes for people who have problems with smoking, alcoholism and drug abuse.
If you’re wondering whether you are eligible for dental implants, find a dental implant specialist near you.
At Stellar Dental, Dr. Gotora will conduct a dental examination including X-rays and other tests to determine if you’re a good candidate for dental implants. He will also analyze your medical and dental history to determine if you’re suffering from any medical conditions that may affect the success rate of the dental implants procedure.
Is the dental implants procedure painful?
Before going through the dental implant stages, Dr. Gotora will first administer a local anesthetic to ensure that you won’t feel any pain at any time. However, like any other dental treatment, you may experience a little discomfort right after the tooth implant process or for the first couple of days after the implant surgery.
If you are considering dental implants and looking for affordable dental implants near you, visit our dental offices at Silver Spring or Hyattsville, Maryland. With our excellent team of dental implant specialist and dental care experts, you’ll surely have more reasons to smile here at Stellar Dental.