Mini Dental Implants in Silver Spring & Hyattsville, MD
Having missing teeth is one of the most common dental problems suffered by millions of people around the world. If you have missing teeth, Stellar Dental offers different restorative dentistry services to restore your missing teeth, one of which is mini dental implants.
What are mini dental implants?
Mini implants are the latest hype when it comes to implant dentistry nowadays. They are made of the same material used in regular dental implants, i.e. titanium or titanium alloy.
One of the main purposes of mini implants is to support full upper or lower dentures. These mini implants consist of miniature screw-like posts that act as artificial tooth roots and fixture that is incorporated at the base of the dentures to provide stability. Through an O-ring retention system, the dentures are anchored to the heads of the mini implants. This makes the dentures more comfortable and more stable to wear. In addition to being approved by the FDA to be used long-term for dentures, the use of mini implants are also approved for crowns and bridges.
If you’re considering having mini implants, visit Stellar Dental today. Stellar Dental offers mini implant procedures at Silver Spring and Hyattsville, Maryland. Have Dr. Allen Gotora at Stellar Dental conduct a dental examination to determine if mini implants are right for you.
What are the differences between mini implants and regular implants?
- Mini implants are smaller in diameter compared to regular implants
- Mini implants are less costly
- During an implant procedure, the mini implants are not fully submerged unlike regular implants
- The procedure for mini implants is minimally invasive as compared to that of regular implants
- The procedure for mini implants is less time consuming
- Mini implants offer immediate loading of the dentures
- Grafting is not necessary
Who are eligible for mini implants?
Mini implants are primarily recommended for patients with small teeth and incisors as well as within narrow spaces. They are mostly used for patients who have missing tooth in narrow areas as well as those who require stabilization in their lower jaw dentures. Even patients who have suffered bone loss and could not previously get regular implants may be eligible for mini implants. This is because the mini implant procedure requires less drilling of the jawbone and does not require the mini implant to be fully submerged into the jawbone.
If you want to know if you’re eligible for mini dental implants, visit Stellar Dental today. Dr. Gotora will will conduct a dental examination, including X-rays and other tests to determine if a mini implant procedure is the right kind of restorative dentistry procedure that will answer to your dental needs.
What are the benefits of mini implants?
Because mini implants are made from the same material as that of regular implants, both have more or less the same benefits. Here are some of the advantages of having mini implants:
- They have a high success rate.
- They are also made from titanium and are therefore strong and durable.
- Mini implants have the same surface coatings that allows for osseointegration of the implants to the jawbone.
- The abutment is built right into implant.
- One piece mini dental implants gives the whole package and limits the need to buy additional parts.
- Mini implants can still be used even if there has been bone loss.
- Its small size makes it possible for mini implants to be inserted in narrow spaces where regular implants cannot be regularly placed.
- They can be used to correct a single missing tooth or gap.
- The mini implant procedure does not require extensive surgery.
- The recovery time is very minimal.
- They rarely have any complications.
How are mini dental implants placed?
Before placing the mini implants, Dr. Gotora will first administer a local anesthesia to ensure that patients will have a comfortable implant procedure. Next, a small hole will be drilled into the jawbone. But unlike in regular implants, only a small pilot hole is made. The implant(s) will then be fixed, placed and properly secured to the jawbone. Your dentures will then be measured against the implants and marks will be placed on your dentures to determine the position of the implants. Afterwards, your dentures will be sent to the laboratory and retrofitted by placing holes in the marked positions. A metal attachment which can snap on the dentures to the implants will be placed on the holes to ensure that your dentures will fit snugly on your gums.
If you want to learn more about mini dental implants or if you have any questions relating to the implant procedure, visit Stellar Dental and meet with Dr. Allen Gotora and his staff for a consultation. Call us today at (301) 754-1900 at our Silver Spring office or at (301) 853-1567 at our Hyattsville office to book your appointment!