How to Take Care of Your Teeth and Gums
Everyone knows the importance of teeth and gum care, and how it is closely associated with your overall health. Poor oral health not only causes several chronic diseases, but it also affects your self-confidence.
Daily brushing and flossing are essential for good oral health. Following simple yet effective teeth and gum care steps will ensure a healthy smile!
How Should You Care for Your Teeth and Gums?
It doesn’t require too much time or expensive oral hygiene tools to keep your teeth and gums healthy. Good oral hygiene habits like brushing and flossing will prevent tooth decay (cavities), pain, or gum disease, and your teeth and gums will stay healthy throughout your life. Drink plenty of water, avoid sugary and sticky food, avoid smoking, and have regular teeth cleaning and dental checkups to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
Effective Brushing Tips
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Brush at 45-degree angle.
- Brush your tongue lightly.
- Motion your brush correctly, avoid scrubbing motion.
- Avoid eating for half an hour after brushing.
- Replace your toothbrush after every 3 months.
Effective Flossing Tips
- Floss your teeth daily
- Floss your top teeth first, and then the bottom.
- Be gentle while flossing.
- Don’t forget to floss behind the back teeth.
- As you floss, it should form a C-shape around the tooth.
- Throw away the floss after a single use.
Effective Rinsing Tips
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash to rinse your teeth and gums.
- Use fluoride-containing mouthwash to prevent cavities and gum disease.
- Swish the mouthwash for 50-60 seconds in your mouth.
- Rinse your mouth before and after brushing and flossing.
- Use a good antibacterial mouthwash to prevent bad breath.
Eating Right for Good Dental Health
- Avoid smoking and chewing tobacco.
- Avoid foods and drinks rich in sugar.
- Avoid sweets like cakes, pie, cookies, chips, and candies.
- If you drink alcohol, limit yourself to moderate consumption.
- Visit your dentist every six months.
- Get regular dental checkups and professional teeth cleaning.
A proper teeth and gum care plan will prevent teeth decay and gum disease so you can smile with confidence. However, if you have swollen or bleeding gums, pain in your teeth or mouth, you should see a dentist immediately.
Stellar Dental is a leading dental service provider based in Maryland with offices at White Oak and Hyattsville. We strive to provide the best dental care solutions and a state-of-the-art facility to our patients. Our major services include – dental implants, Invisalign, braces, 6 Month Smiles and other general dentistry procedures. We have a team of warm, friendly and compassionate dental professionals.